Calling Python from Matlab

John Hunter jdhunter at ace.bsd.uchicago.edu
Mon Apr 17 10:04:07 EDT 2006

>>>>> "AgenteSegreto" == AgenteSegreto  <nashborges at gmail.com> writes:

    AgenteSegreto> I've been a Matlab user for years and have recently
    AgenteSegreto> started using Python with matplotlib and NumPy for
    AgenteSegreto> most of my work.  The only thing I found that is
    AgenteSegreto> still lacking is a 3D capability in matplotlib.  I

There is some progress being made on this front -- in svn are a
collection of classes for basic 3d plots (plot3, mesh, surf) but the
interface to these is still under development.  We hope they will be
included in the next major release 0.88.

You can see some examples here:

  http://www.scipy.org/Wiki/Cookbook/Matplotlib/mplot3D

Also, there is a master's student who will be working on extending mpl
3d capabilities as part of her master's project, so expect some basic
functionality in the near future.

We certainly don't aim to compete with VTK or other full-blown 3D
solutions like Mayavi

  http://mayavi.sourceforge.net/
  http://www.enthought.com/enthought/wiki/MayaVi
  http://www.scipy.org/ArndBaecker/MayaVi2

but most agree it would be nice to have some support for basic 3D
plotting in matplotlib.

JDH