Using a browser as a GUI: which Python package

André andre.roberge at gmail.com
Fri Apr 28 20:29:00 EDT 2006

John Bokma wrote:
> "André" <andre.roberge at gmail.com> wrote:
[snip]

> > I would like to use a browser (e.g. Firefox) as a simple GUI
> > "framework".  Note that this is to be done on a single user machine, so
> > the question of sandboxing is not really relevant here.

[snip]

> > Ideally, I would prefer a Python-based solution only.
>
> I guess you need at least AJAX to make it smooth. (Otherwise if you press
> the button, your window is refreshed.)
>
> But other then that: a form with text area + submit button, and a result
> part should do the trick. If you want a "real" editor a lot of JavaScript
> it needed to make it work.
>
> Also note that if your result takes some time you need to send dummy
> headers every now and then to keep the connection alive. And even then
> there might be problems with time outs.

I don't see why I would have problems with timeouts.  As I mentioned
(briefly) I want to use this on a single machine i.e. no communication
over the web.  Something like htconsole
(http://blog.ianbicking.org/introducing-htconsole.html).  I could use
htconsole and the packages it uses as a starting point, but I would
feel that it would be like choosing to use Tkinter for graphics after
seeing a single GUI based app.  Before I invest some time in this, I'd
like to have an idea of what the options are.