search an entire website given the homepage URL

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Tue Apr 25 16:47:57 EDT 2006

Bell, Kevin wrote:
>>use a search engine (try the search box in the upper right corner).
>

>>using a spider to download the entire site just so you can "search
>
> through >it" is bloody impolite.
>
> Really?  I'd argue that's impolite only if you're an impolite person
> with a rude agenda, which is not what I had in mind, but thanks for the
> ethics lecture as well as the pointer ; )  I assure you that I harbor no
> nefarious scheme.  Isn't it common for folks to watch the stock market,
> or real estate listings, for example?
>
> I'll look into to tools you mentioned, and thanks again!

I think Fredrik's right: the intarweb is supposed to be distributed, not
live on your desktop. Folk who watch the stock market don't download
twenty years' worth of data in one afternoon, they generally subscribe
to real-time feeds that are relatively low volume.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119
Love me, love my blog  http://holdenweb.blogspot.com