PYTHONPATH

Brian van den Broek broek at cc.umanitoba.ca
Sun Apr 23 16:13:53 EDT 2006

bruno at modulix said unto the world upon 20/04/06 08:38 AM:

<snip>

>>Can anyone help me to make my path persistant?
>

> Just like any other environnement variable on your system. With most
> distros, it will be something like adding the line:
>
> export PYTHONPATH="/a/possible/path;/another/one;/and/a/third"
>
> either in /etc/profile (will be system-wide default) or ~/.bash_profile
> (will be user-specific).
>
> but this may vary according to your distro and your shell.

Hi all,

reraising a slightly stale thread as I've got the same issue.

I'm a fairly recently convert to ubuntu from Windows and I'm still at
the stage where I am most comfortable with things right there for the
clicking, but I'm learning ;-)

The suggestions above appear not to work for me:

brian at Cedric:~/PythonFiles$ pwd
/home/brian/PythonFiles
brian at Cedric:~/PythonFiles$ cd ~
brian at Cedric:~$ cat /etc/profile | grep 'export PYTHONPATH'
export PYTHONPATH="~/PythonFiles"
brian at Cedric:~$ cat .bash_profile | grep 'export PYTHONPATH'
export PYTHONPATH="~/PythonFiles"
brian at Cedric:~$ python
Python 2.4.2 (#2, Sep 30 2005, 21:19:01)
[GCC 4.0.2 20050808 (prerelease) (Ubuntu 4.0.1-4ubuntu8)] on linux2
 >>> from sys import path
 >>> for p in path:
...   if "PythonFiles" in p or "Numeric" in p:
...     print p
/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/Numeric

(I don't think it should matter, but I also tried the export line with
"/home/brian" in place of "~" in both files. I also tried with a ';'
trailing the single entry in my attempted PYTHONPATHs.)

I don't know where to look for more information; I'm assuming that
ubuntu isn't doing it the standard way bruno referred to above. Could
some ubuntu user cast light, please?

Thanks and best,

Brian vdB