[ANN] markup.py - 1.2 - an HTML/XML generator

Scott David Daniels scott.daniels at acm.org
Mon Apr 3 20:34:25 EDT 2006

Erik Max Francis wrote:
> Felipe Almeida Lessa wrote:
>
>> IMHO, it's strange and ugly. Besides, AFAIK everybody uses "cls" or
>> "class_", this is the first place I see "klass", so this breaks
>> consistency, too. But that's just my opinion...
>
> A quick Google Groups search indicates that `klass` is more commonly
> mentioned than `class_`.  `cls`, at least, is more commonly used within
> Python itself (e.g., classmethods).

While I liked the klass form myself, PEP-8 (the style guide) says:

     Function and method arguments
       Always use 'self' for the first argument to instance methods.
       Always use 'cls' for the first argument to class methods.
       If a function argument's name clashes with a reserved keyword,
       it is generally better to append a single trailing underscore
       rather than use an abbreviation or spelling corruption.  Thus
       "print_" is better than "prnt".  (Perhaps better is to avoid
       such clashes by using a synonym.)

Reference:
     http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0008/

--Scott David Daniels