Better way to sift parts of URL . . .

Ben Wilson dausha at gmail.com
Tue Apr 18 16:27:59 EDT 2006

I am working on a script that splits a URL into a page and a url. The
examples below are the conditions I expect a user to pass to the
script. In all cases, "http://www.example.org/test/" is the URL, and
the page comprises parts that have upper case letters (note, 5 & 6 are
the same as earlier examples, sans the 'test').

   1. http://www.example.org/test/Main/AnotherPage (page =
Main/AnotherPage)
   2. http://www.example.org/test/Main (page = Main + '/' +
default_page)
   3. http://www.example.org/test (page = default_group + '/' +
default_page)
   4. http://www.example.org/test/  (page = default_group + '/' +
default_page)
   5. http://www.example.org/  (page = default_group + '/' +
default_page)
   6. http://www.example.org/Main/AnotherPage (page = Main/AnotherPage)

Right now, I'm doing a simple split off condition 1:

  page = '.'.join(in.split('/')[-2:])
  url = '/'.join(in.split('/')[:-2]) + '/'

Before I start winding my way down a complex path, I wanted to see if
anybody had an elegant approach to this problem.

Thanks in advance.
Ben