How do i use ~/.alias within 'ipython -p pysh'?

noman at cyclops.org noman at cyclops.org
Thu Apr 13 10:46:54 EDT 2006

Pasting the contents of ~/.alias into ~/.ipython/ipythonrc-pysh causes
all of my normal system aliases to be sourced and used by ipython, but
only the single token aliases work. For example, this alias:

    alias l 'ls'

works, but this one:

    alias ll 'ls -AhlF'

doesn't work. It replies:

    sh: line 1: /tools/bin/ls -AhlF: No such file or directory.

 From the syntax of my aliases, you can see that i'm using a csh
 (tcsh, to be exact), which i'm stuck with, as per the client's
 wishes. The error message above leads me to think that IPython is
 using the Bourne shell under the covers. Is it possible to get it to
 use tcsh? I found that if i convert the 2nd alias above to:

    alias ll='ls -AhlF'

(Bourne/bash syntax) it works as i expect in IPython, but i'd rather
not have to maintain 2 different syntax'ed copies of my _many_
aliases. In fact, i really don't want to have 2 copies at all. I'll go
ahead and do that for now, but i was hoping that either:

A) Someone can point out what i'm doing wrong, or

B) It's not my fault, and someone's already found a workaround for
   this minor issue.

thanks in advance,
Eric

PS: Fernando Perez, thank you _very_ much for IPython.

--
  Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands,
  hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.