warning users of problems with logging

Chris Curvey ccurvey at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 08:51:33 EDT 2006

The following code exists in logging/config.py

    handlers[hand] = h
except:     #if an error occurs when instantiating a handler, too bad
     pass    #this could happen e.g. because of lack of privileges

The problem here is that if something did go wrong instantiating the
handler, you have no idea what the problem was (permissions, syntax
error, wrong parameters), and later on you get a message like:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "c:\python24\lib\logging\config.py", line 151, in fileConfig
    log.addHandler(handlers[hand])
KeyError: 'default'

I propose that we change the code so that we have a fighting chance of
figuring out what's going on, like this:

    handlers[hand] = h
except Exception, e:     #if an error occurs when instantiating a
handler, too bad
     print e                     #this could happen e.g. because of
lack of privileges

But I'm not sure if a "print" statement is the best way to go about it.
 Any thoughts?