programming puzzles?

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Sun Apr 9 03:48:22 EDT 2006

mensanator at aol.com wrote:

> The trouble with word lists is when you run across something
> you don't recognize, like "ixodid", you can't tell if it's a word or
> an acronym or an abbreviation. Being in the environmental
> remediation business, I thought "dioxid" (which I assume is
> related to "dioxin") to be more plausible as a word.

isn't that spelled "dioxide" in english ?

googling for "dioxid" brings up band homepages, obviously misspelled
pages, and non-english pages (it's spelled dioxid in swedish, for example)
-- and this page:

    http://www.morewords.com/word/dioxid/

which says that dioxid is a valid word, and tells me to click on a number
of dictionary links to verify that.  those links all lead to "not found; per-
haps you meant dioxide?" pages...

</F>