MS VC++ Toolkit 2003, where?

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 24 11:07:23 EDT 2006

Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com> wrote:

> Edward Elliott wrote:
> > I think Apple switched to the Intel compiler for
> > x86 macs, was python built with that or with gcc?
>
> I'm pretty sure MacTel OS X still uses gcc 4 (although I think there is a beta
> version of the Intel compiler available). All of the Python builds floating
> around for it certainly use gcc.

Apple's XCode still uses gcc.  The intel compilers are out of beta, and
cost many hundreds of dollars per developer, besides NOT supporting
ObjectiveC, while XCode is still free (as in beer for the GUI parts etc,
as in speech for the underlying commandline tools, though I'm not quite
sure where I'd start looking for the latters' sources if I wanted
them;-).

Edward's request on this thread is eminently reasonable, but I don't
really have time to get and post all the detailed results of pybench
right now - I'll try to get to it this evening.

Alex