Missing interfaces in Python...

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 17 23:58:15 EDT 2006

Jonathan Daugherty <cygnus at cprogrammer.org> wrote:

> # "parser"...?!  If you have an 'Object o', say one just received as an
> # argument, and cast it to IBlahble, a la
> #
> #     IBlahble blah = (IBlahble) o;
> #
> # ...what can the parser ever say about it?
>
> Maybe you didn't read the "I think" in my OP.  Anyway, you clearly
> know more about (or have more recent experience with) Java than I do.

My real-world experience with Java is very dated -- nowadays, I'm told,
the NEED to cast is vastly reduced by Java 1.5's "generics" (I haven't
yet written one line of Java 1.5, not even for "play" purposes, much
less "real world" ones;-).  Still, all the casting that used to work
still works, so the purported "compile-time type safety" is worth as
much as the social compact to "don't use any of the container classes
that used to work until 1.4.*, but ONLY the very newest ones in 1.5"!-)
So much for "compiler enforcement", hm?-)

Alex