function prototyping?

Burton Samograd kruhftREMOVE at gmail.com
Thu Apr 13 14:08:33 EDT 2006

Duncan Booth <duncan.booth at invalid.invalid> writes:

> Burton Samograd wrote:
> > Is there any way to 'prototype' functions in python, as you would in
> > C?  Would that be what the 'global' keyword is for, or is there a more
> > elegant or 'pythonic' way of doing forward references?
> >
> There isn't really such a thing as a forward reference in Python. Always
> remember that 'def' and 'class' are executable statements:

Ok, we'll here's what I'm trying to do.  I have a dictionary that I
would like to initialize in a module file config.py:

-- config.py -------------------------
global a_fun, b_fun
dict = {
'a': a_fun,
'b': b_fun
}
--------------------------------------

where a_fun and b_fun are in fun.py:

-- fun.py ----------------------------
def a_fun(): pass
def b_fun(): pass

import config
def main():
        config.dict['a']()
        config.dict['b']()
main()

I like having the module/namespace seperation with the configuration
variables but I would like to make them easily (re)defined in the
configuration file by the user.  Does python have the idea of a 'weak'
reference or lazy style evaluation for the definition of the dict in
the config file above so I can achive what i'm tryin to do?

--
burton samograd					kruhft .at. gmail
kruhft.blogspot.com	www.myspace.com/kruhft	metashell.blogspot.com