Manipulating sets from the 2.4 C API?

Jack Diederich jack at performancedrivers.com
Tue Apr 11 12:47:06 EDT 2006

On Tue, Apr 11, 2006 at 09:29:10AM -0700, Dave Opstad wrote:
> I just looked through the Python/C API reference for 2.4.3 and didn't
> see anything about using sets. I'd been expecting things like PySet_New,
> PySet_Check etc.

There is a public C API starting in 2.5, the progression for sets was
pure-python in 2.3, C in 2.4, and polished in 2.5 after it was better
understood how people use them.  If Hettinger is around he'll correct me
if that explanation is off.

> If I want to handle sets should I just use a dictionary's keys and
> ignore the values, or is there some more explicit set support somewhere
> I'm not seeing?

There are people that use sets from C-code but I don't know if they use
the slotted methods, the 2.5 version, or a special build.

-Jack