Plug-Ins In A Python Application

Jay Parlar jparlar at cogeco.ca
Tue Apr 18 16:54:09 EDT 2006

On Apr 18, 2006, at 9:58 AM, redefined.horizons at gmail.com wrote:

> Its the Java developer again...
>
> I'm working on an application framework that I would like to implement
> in Python. Part of the application framework is a plug-in model that is
> similar to the one used in Eclipse.
>
> Is it possible to load and use "modules" containing plug-in code
> written by third party developers into a running instance of the
> framework? How would I do this? Do I need to "dynamically load" the
> module at runtime? (I will scan a folder in the application direcotry
> for XML files containing information about the plug-ins, including the
> modules that implement them.)

Well, the "state of the art" in Python plugins is moving towards Eggs:
http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/PythonEggs

Though that might be a bit much for you to jump into considering you're
just starting out in Python. However, if you do learn it now, you won't
have to learn it again later when everyone's using it :)

Jay P.