What am I doing wrong here

Bruno Desthuilliers bdesth.quelquechose at free.quelquepart.fr
Mon Apr 24 21:50:47 EDT 2006

Hitesh Joshi a écrit :
(snip)
> But if I try to create a for loop like this it doesn't work.... how can
> I pass computerName var as an argument?
> What am I doing wrong here? Thank you in advance....
>
> import os
>
> Computerlist = ['PC1', 'PC2', 'PC3', 'PC4', 'PC5']
> for ComputerName in Computerlist:
>     print ComputerName
>     os.system('net send ComputerName  "Message"')

What you pass to os.system is the litteral string 'net send ComputerName
  "Message"'. This string is passed 'as is' - the fact that it contains
'ComputerName' won't invoke any magic...

Try this instead:
Computerlist = ['PC1', 'PC2', 'PC3', 'PC4', 'PC5']
for ComputerName in Computerlist:
     os.system('net send %s "Message"' % ComputerName)

<ot>
In Python, CapitalizedNames are usually used for class names. You'd
better use all_lowers_with_underscores, or at least mixedCase.
</ot>