PyLint results?

Michael Yanowitz m.yanowitz at kearfott.com
Fri Apr 21 13:49:31 EDT 2006

Hello:

   I ran the new pylint and my code and I had a few questions on why those
are warnings or what I can do to fix them:

1) W:  0: Too many lines in module (1587)
     Why is 1587 considered too many lines? Would there be necessarily be an
   advantage to split it up into 2 or 3 files? Can I up the limit?

2) C:  0: Missing required attribute "__revision__"
   What is this? Is that for CVS? I don't use CVS (we use SVN). I have not
   seen any sample code which includes this tag yet. But if I include
   __revision 1.0  somewhere in the code it will remove that warning?

3) W:230:readDiscreteData: Using the global statement
   What is wrong with using the global statement? I know the use of Globals
   should be discouraged, but often they can't be avoided.
   Suppose I have a constant. In C or C++, I could just use a #define and
   it would be known throughout the whole file. In Python, there isn't a
   similar construct, so rather than creating a large parameter list, of
   constants, I like to use globals.

4) W:261:getDiscreteData: Catch "Exception"
   What is wrong with that?

5) R:547:readDiscreteData: Too many branches (28/12)
   Python doesn't have the switch/case statements that C/C++ have. So I
   could have a large block if/elif/else statements.
   Is there any way to avoid that?

6) R:722:waitDiscretes: Too many local variables (38/15)
   That's new to me. What is wrong with too many local variables?
   Can anything be done to improve that besides having too many globals?

7) W:933:sendStringToSocket: Redefining name 'nPortNumber' from outer scope
(line
   What is wrong with using the same variable name in a function that is
used by its caller?

8) W:995:sendStringToSocket: Used builtin function 'map'
   Is that a problem?

  Plus many other warnings about my naming convention or unused variables
which I will ignore
at this time.

  I did find it to be a very useful too any how in cleaning up my code.
I raised my code rate from about -8 to about +7.

Thanks:
Michael Yanowitz