Tkinter vs PyGTK

Ravi Teja webraviteja at gmail.com
Wed Apr 12 03:27:22 EDT 2006

JyotiC wrote:
> I want to make a stand alone gui. Whose work is to get the diff options
> from user and run a shell  script based on them.
>
> I wanna know which one is better to use Tkinter or PyGTK, in terms of
> efficiency and functionality.
>
> I hv read about Tkinter, but it takes too much time to  load, is there
> a way to make it faster.
> Is all gui take more time to load, this is the first time i am making a
> gui.
> wIll PyGtk be faster.
> Is there any other way of making a gui using python
>
> Thanx in advance

Speed is not the main concern. You won't notice any speed differences
in a small application like that.

Python has many ways of building a GUI.
http://wiki.python.org/moin/GuiProgramming
Everyone has their favorite(s). It is impossible to get a good opinion
on this. A GUI toolkit choice can be quite complex since there are many
variables. It is a decision you will have to make yourself.

If your needs are simple (just get a few options and not concerned
about layout details and other functionality), try something along the
lines of
http://wiki.woodpecker.org.cn/moin/EasyGuider