New Karrigel page in Wikipedia

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Thu Apr 13 09:11:59 EDT 2006

In article <1144918850.680444.198980 at g10g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
 "Pierre Quentel" <quentel.pierre at wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> I added an entry in Wikipedia for information, just like other Python
> web frameworks have already done. If the style doesn't fit Wikipedia's
> I'm sorry and willing to learn how to improve it ; the reason I read
> was "Obvious, if elaborate, link spam. Really should be speedied, but I
> can't find a CSD that fits this". I don't really understand why it's
> called a spam, I don't know what a CSD is and I don't know either who
> deleted the prod template, not me anyway. I'll take wikipedia people's
> advice into account anyway

Hi Pierre,

As the guy who put the deletion notice on the article, let me explain how
this works, and why I did what I did.  My apologies if my comment appeared
abrupt or rude.

CSD stands for "Criteria for Speedy Deletion".  It's a set of specific
rules describing types of articles which don't fit Wikipedia's charter.  If
an article fits one of the CSD rules, any Wikipedia admin (which I am), can
delete the article on their own, with no further ado.  Hundreds of articles
a day are deleted under CSD.  Your article did not meet any of those
specific rules.  You can read more at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wp:csd

CSD or not, I still felt that the article was not appropriate for
Wikipedia.  Wikipedia is an encyclopedia; it's meant to collect, organize,
and present information about significant things.  It is explicitly NOT
meant to be used as a tool to promote things, even things which are being
given away for free.  Wikipedia has become one of the most well-known web
sites on the Internet, and is thus often used by people with things to
promote as an easy way to get some free publicity.  That is what your
article looked like.  I thus took the step of proposing that it be deleted.
I used a relatively new process which gives people 5 days to object to the
proposal, and if anybody does, the article is kept.  That's what happened
here.  It also prompted it to get cleaned up a lot, which is a Good Thing.

The next step I could take would be to bring the article to what's called
AFD, or Articles For Deletion.  At that point, there would be a more formal
debate about the pros and cons of the article vis-a-vis Wikipedia's
charter, and finally some other (neutral) admin would come along and make a
final determination.  The article has improved enough that I don't think
I'm going to do that.  It still concerns me that you appear to be using
Wikipedia to promote your own work, but I'll leave that up to other editors
to decide what they want to do.

Please don't misunderstand my actions.  I'm all for promoting Python, and
your Karrigel system looks interesting.  Wikipedia is just not the correct
forum for such promotion.  There is a fine line between promotion and
documentation.  It's often difficult to know where that line is, especially
when you're personally close to a project.