Quickie: converting r"\x2019" to int

Robin Haswell rob at digital-crocus.com
Fri Apr 7 08:41:13 EDT 2006

> Therefore r'\x2019' is left unchanged, and cannot be converted to an
> int.
>
> Rob, this explains *why* you are getting the above error. It does not
> explain how to achieve your objective, as you have not specified what
> it is. If you give more information, one of the resident gurus may be
> able to assist you.

Thanks, I think that helps.

Basically I'm decoding HTML character references. "&#x2019" is a character
reference, equal to a single quote (ish).
http://ganesh.bronco.co.uk/example.html is the character in action. I want
to get from the string "x2019" to the Unicode character ’.

However, your help has lead me to a solution!

>>> u"\u2019"
u'\u2019'
>>> unichr(int("2019", 16))
u'\u2019'