Looking for thoughts on PyMPI

Konrad Hinsen konrad.hinsen at laposte.net
Thu Apr 13 12:27:43 EDT 2006

On Apr 13, 2006, at 17:37, Carl J. Van Arsdall wrote:

> Hey, anyone use the PyMPI suite: http://sourceforge.net/projects/
> pympi/  ??
>
> I am an engineer doing research with MPI and thought I'd do some
> digging
> to see if any scripting languages had adopted it yet.  I was just
> looking for general comments and reviews from the community on this
> project, thanks!

There is also PyPAR which is quite similar:
	http://datamining.anu.edu.au/~ole/pypar/

Both are high-level interfaces to MPI, i.e. they propose an MPI-like
message passing interface with the main added value being
communication of arbitrary Python objects.

There is also a more low-level MPI interface in my ScientificPython
library:
	http://dirac.cnrs-orleans.fr/ScientificPython/ScientificPythonManual/
Scientific_27.html

It handles only strings and arrays, but with almost no overhead. Its
strong point is its C interface, which makes it possible to write
parallelized mixed C-Python code and to integrate parallelized C
libraries into Python projects.

Finally, if you are looking for parallel programming in Python but
not necessarily an MPI-like approach, consider my BSP interface:
	http://dirac.cnrs-orleans.fr/ScientificPython/BSP_Tutorial.pdf

This is what I personally consider the most convenient interface for
parallel programming in Python. It is built on the BSP (Bulk
Synchronous Processing) model that works at a higher level than
message passing: the programmer does not have to worry about
synchronization, which is a major source of hard-to-track-
down bugs.

Konrad.
Konrad Hinsen
Laboratoire Léon Brillouin, CEA Saclay,