Upgrading and modules

Brian Elmegaard brian at rkspeed-rugby.dk
Fri Apr 14 05:23:15 EDT 2006

Hi,

Every time I upgrade python I also have to download all packages and
reinstall them.

http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/articles/upgrading_python.html
tells me that this is only a problem on windows for some reasons that
have to do with binary distributions, compiling and more.

This leads me to the questions:
1: Isn't there a better way?
2: Why is compilation needed for installation of a package?
3: Why isn't python backwards compatible so reinstallation is
unneeded?
4: Would it help if python was compiled with gcc/mingw so installation
would be the same as on other systems?
5: What about a package repository and a manager like miktex has?

regards,
--
Brian (remove the sport for mail)
http://www.et.web.mek.dtu.dk/Staff/be/be.html