OOP techniques in Python

Duncan Booth duncan.booth at invalid.invalid
Thu Apr 27 16:03:36 EDT 2006

Philippe Martin wrote:
> Steven Bethard wrote:
>> [Please don't top-post]
>
> OK I won't, is that a general rule? (I've been top posting for quite some
> time now and it is the first time I see that warning)

Yes. Other suggestions you might get are not to bottom post, and certainly
not (as you did elsewhere) to post your response as a signature (i.e.
following a line containing only two dashes and a space).

The accepted way to follow up is to trim the post to which you are
responding so as to maintain sufficient context to make the post
intelligible on its own, but not to quote the entire post: most newsreader
programs will help you in this by either warning or indeed refusing to post

It is perfectly reasonable if you are making several points to intersperse
your comments with other quoted sections.

Some newsgroups use a different convention and expect top-posting without
trimming of the quoted posts, but these very much are in the minority.