Looking for resources for making the jump from Java to Python easier and more productive

bruno at modulix onurb at xiludom.gro
Tue Apr 25 05:41:18 EDT 2006

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In article <444cb3e1$0$21091$626a54ce at news.free.fr>,
>  bruno at modulix <onurb at xiludom.gro> wrote:
>

>>Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

(snip)
>>>I suppose this is an instance of the more general rule: "using OO when
>>>you don't have to".
>>
>>Lawrence, I'm afraid you're confusing OO with "statically-typed
>>class-based". FWIW, dynamic typing is part of OO since Smalltalk.
>

> I wasn't talking about dynamic typing, I was talking about subclassing,
> which is very much a part of OO.

What you wrote implies (well, at least I understand it that way) that
polymorphic dispatch *not* based on subclassing is not OO. Hence my
reaction : the need to use subclassing (inheritance) for subtyping
(polymorphic dispatch) is not a requirement of object orientation and
has never been - it's only a limitation of languages with declarative
static typing (C++, Java, C# etc).

> Unless you subscribe to the "OO is whatever looks like a good
> programming idea" definition <http://www.paulgraham.com/reesoo.html>.

Not really !-)

--
bruno desthuilliers