String Exceptions (PEP 352)

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Apr 27 14:57:37 EDT 2006

"Thomas Guettler" <niemand.leermann at thomas-guettler.de> wrote in message
news:pan.2006.04.27.14.18.41.758387 at thomas-guettler.de...
>I like python because it is compatible to old versions.

Python 3 will be a new and mostly improved dialect of Python.
Some 2.x code will run unchanged.  Much will not.  Transition tools will be
written.

> That's way I think string exceptions should not be deprecated.
> Is it too late to change this?

Yes.

> Way not make this line     raise "..."
> behave like this:     raise Exception("...")

Part of the motivation for 3.0 is to remove duplication and *simply* the
language (= easier to learn), parser, compiler, and interpreter.

Terry Jan Reedy