how relevant is C today?

gregarican greg.kujawa at gmail.com
Sun Apr 9 21:36:23 EDT 2006

Here are a few languages I recommend most programmers should at least
have a peek at:

1) Smalltalk - The original object oriented programming language.
Influenced anything from Mac/Windows GUI to Java language. Terse, clean
syntax. IDE rolled into an operating system rolled into a set of core
libraries.
2) Lisp - Along with FORTRAN, one of the oldest programming languages
still in use. Pure functional programming model that is extensible and
has many derivatives. Great for mathematical purposes. Easy to learn if
you can get past all of the nested parenthesis :-)
3) C - The "Latin" of modern programming languages. Used in low level
tasks (e.g. - hardware drivers) as well as larger projects (e.g. -
operating systems and other programming languages). Logcal, explicit
flow albeit a bit wordy.

I have worked in C and Smalltalk for awhile now and just starting to
pickup Lisp. Knowing different languages can help you approach problems
with a fresh perspective. I prefer to code in Ruby and Python but can
use these languages a certain way given the angles I have picked up
elsewhere...