Calling Web Services from Python

Ivan Zuzak ivan.zuzak at fer.hr
Fri Apr 7 12:59:11 EDT 2006

Hello,

My Python application calls web services available on the Internet. The
web service being called is defined through application user input.

The Python built-in library allows access to web services using HTTP
protocol, which is not acceptible - generating SOAP messages for
arbitrary web services is something i wish to avoid.

I need a package/tool that generates web service proxies that will do
all the low-level HTTP work. (Someting like the WSDL.EXE tool in .NET
Framework) The ZSI and SOAPy packages [1] that i found (should) have
those functionalities but either have a bug (SOAPy) or either do not
work for arbitrary web services (ZSI). I tried the ZSI wsdl2py script on
a wsdl of one of my services, and the script crashes. I suppose the wsdl
was "too hard" for the script to parse.

Are there any other packages that utilize generation of web service
proxies that are compatible with SOAP & WSDL standards?

Thank you,
ivan zuzak

[1] - http://pywebsvcs.sourceforge.net/