MinGW and Python

Edward Elliott nobody at 127.0.0.1
Tue Apr 25 17:33:14 EDT 2006

sturlamolden wrote:
> Edward Elliott wrote:
>> Couldn't you compile the msvc-python code under gcc/mingw?
>
> Yes I could, but I cannot compile the code under msvc for comparison. I
> only have MinGW. If build the mingw binary then someone else has to
> build the msvc binary for comparison. Then we could do pybenches on the
> same computer.

Sorry, I didn't mean you personally, I meant "you" in the general sense.

> Uh .. I actually think it could be an EULA violation to publish mingw
> vs. msvc benchmarks without permission from Microsoft. I don't want to
> part of anything illegal or have M$ lawyers breathing down my back. If
> we are going to do this, then we must do it properly and get the
> permissions we need.

Why, because of a "no benchmarks" clause in the EULA?  First, I'm fairly
certain that clause is uneforceable.  Second, it's not worth MS's time to
come after you.  Third, even if they did, they'd have an incredibly tough
time showing that any harm occured from your actions, leaving them with no
recovery.  Fourth, if it somehow came to that, you'd have organizations
like the EFF lining up at your door to take the case gratis.  I'm assuming
US law here.

Not saying you should do it, just that the risk in my opinion is extremely
low.  I am a law student, but this is not legal advice.