Standalone Python functions in UML?

Ravi Teja webraviteja at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 20:56:33 EDT 2006

> So, function could be a utility class method. If there are no better ways.

What I mean is <<utility>> is the formal notation for a class in which
global functions are aggregated. It's not a hack.
Python is not alone here. Most OO languages aside Java and Smalltalk
have functions outside classes and UML accomodates though not
encourages free functions.

> Well, maybe SOL (Semantic Object Language) could also be quite
beneficial in some cases. At least, it depends with whom to communicate
design ideas and what level of formality to maintain.

I don't know what Semantic Object Language is. One important
requirement of choosing communication notations is that they should be
sufficiently popular that everyone understands. Kind of beats the
purpose if you are the only person who knows it. I got 146 hits on
Google for "Semantic Object Language" and UML. Too few for me to care.
If it is a deserving notation, hopefully that will change in the
future.

> Also, my argument that Python is quite good at communicating design
ideas is supported by the fact that Python developers do not use UML
(or
other modelling tools/languages) as often as say Java programmers, nor
feel the need to.

I guess you and I mean VERY different things when we say "Design
Ideas". You seem to imply pseudo code. I mean overall archetecture. I
think Python devs will use UML tools if there are good ones available.
I know I would. I could really use a round trip class and package
diagram editor now.

> And probably Python is too dynamic for UML. That is another reason rountrip tools aren't there.

As you probably already know, UML diagrams are structural and
behavioural (plus interactional with 2.0). Round trip tools only model
structural diagrams. Python is dynamic but only once the program starts
executing :-). Even though Python classes "can" change, they do so only
at runtime ( wouldn't it be scary if they decided to change as code
when you are not looking :-) ). So dynamism of Python should not be as
much of an issue. I think the reason we don't have good UML round trip
tools for Python is primarily a market issue rather than a language
issue. If Python gets the same market share as Java, it will surely get
all these tools and more.