Query regarding support for IPv6 in python

Heiko Wundram me at modelnine.org
Thu Apr 27 02:13:01 EDT 2006

Am Mittwoch 26 April 2006 17:02 schrieb Pramod TK:
> 1. Does python support IPv6? [128 bit IP addresses?]

Yes.

> 2. Does it support setting of QoS flags?

Yes. That's a socket option which you can set just as you would set it using C
(at least under Unix, under Windows: no idea).

> 3. Does it support tunneling of IPv6 on a IPv4 network?

No. That's an OS's job. You could, of course, implement a 6in4-tunnel using
TUN interfaces, completely in Python. But I don't think that's what you want
to do. And, anyway, your host OS would need IPv6 support for this to work. I
wouldn't know how you'd go about implementing this on Windows, though.

> 4. If an IPv4 address is given, does it support this on a IPv6 network?

Depends on the OS. If the OS supports 6to4, then Python does too (because an
IPv4-Adress is simply mapped to an IPv6-Network with a certain notation, look
up the documentation for the 2001::-network on Wikipedia, for example). If
the OS doesn't, Python doesn't either. This is also an OS job, not a Python
job.

--- Heiko.