Decorators, Identity functions and execution...

Sun Apr 9 18:42:32 EDT 2006

On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 08:52:18 -0700, Carl Banks wrote:

> it's more important
> to respect community standards than to stick to some silly preference
> you have.

What happens when the community standard is a silly preference? I object
to the suggestion that "community standards" (that is, a standard not even
designed by a committee, merely evolved by a mob) is necessarily worthy of
respect.

As it turns out, regarding this particular "silly preference" (community
or private), I always remember that communication is the purpose of email
(and, believe it or not, Usenet), and the use of tabs in some buggy
news readers can cause the failure of communication. Hence I use spaces
when posting code. The rest of the time, particularly in my private
coding, my preference (whatever it is) is no more or less irrational than
the other preference.

--
Steven.