how relevant is C today?

Sat Apr 8 16:32:31 EDT 2006

Because of my 'novice-ness' in programming, I had always thought that C
was replaced by C++ and wasn't really used anymore today. I know that's
not the case at all now, but I'm still curious how much C is used
anymore in programming today, and what purpose it serves. Is it used for
actual application programming, or is its use more for something like
extending Python? Would it help for a newbie to learn C for any reason?