proposed Python logo

Michael Tobis mtobis at gmail.com
Fri Apr 21 13:06:48 EDT 2006

> Sorry dude, but it looks like a hairdryer!

I'm afraid you have a point :-/ .

> I think that the current logo is fine. Much more professional than the old image.

Yes, it is a MUCH more professional rendering than the old image, and
it leaves a MUCH better first impression of the homepage.

That said, and conceding that the first impression is positive, I don't
see how it represents Python. More to the point, the longer I look at
it the less I like it, and I would NOT wear it on a T-shirt.

> The + formation is positive enough, and it has a yin-yang
> feel to it which to me conjures up the image of balance, not
> divisiveness.

Both the cross and the yin-yang have religious associations, which will
be positive for some and negative for others but will certainly be
unrepresentative of what Python is. This would be a great logo for
Taoist Christians, if such a group exists.

How is Python about "balance"? It is about abstraction, composition,
the whole greater than the parts, yes, but there's nothing there that
really draws on duality. So the whole two-ness of the thing is one of
the parts that disturbs me.

mt