The whitespaceless frontend

Edward Elliott nobody at 127.0.0.1
Tue Apr 25 13:38:54 EDT 2006

bearophileHUGS at lycos.com wrote:
> It's less explicit than self. but it's shorter, this improves typing,
> and allows to produce more compact code:
>
> return "".join(["Graph(", repr($o), ", ", repr($nodeData), ")"])
>
> Instead of:
>
> return "".join(["Graph(", repr(self.o), ", ", repr(self.nodeData),
> ")"])

It also creates a special case.  Object attributes are generally accessed as
obj.foo, while $foo only works from within obj.  There are more tradeoffs
involved than just compactness and syntax gestalt.

If compactness is all you want, shorten self to s.  Personally I like 'me'
as it's both shorter and more vernacular:

def do_GET (me):
    me.send_response (200, "ok")

As an added bonus, you get to channel Cookie Monster when you program. :)

c = Cookie ("good enough") # for me