not quite 1252

Anton Vredegoor anton.vredegoor at gmail.com
Fri Apr 28 08:53:48 EDT 2006

Richard Brodie wrote:

> "Anton Vredegoor" <anton.vredegoor at gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:4451f9e9$1 at usenet.zapto.org...
>
>> Yes my header also says UTF-8. However some kind person send me an e-mail stating that
>> since I am getting \x94 and such output when using repr (even if str is giving correct
>> output) there could be some problem with the XML-file not being completely UTF-8. Or is
>> there some other reason I'm getting these \x94 codes?
>
> Well that rather depends on what you are doing. If you take utf-8, decode
> it to Unicode, then re-encode it as cp1252 you'll possibly get \x94. OTOH,
> if you see '\x94' in a Unicode string, something is wrong somewhere.

Well, I mailed the content.xml to someone as a text attachment and it
was damaged at the other end, whereas sending it as a file resulted in
flawless transfer. So I guess there is something not quite UTF-8 in it.

However Firefox has no problem opening it either here or at the other
persons computer (the undamaged file of course).

By the way, I also sent an MSwWord document (not as text) that I edited
using OO back to the same person who is using MsWord and he is at the
moment still recovering from an MSWord crash. Could it have something to
do with the OO document being half as big as the MsWord Doc :-)

Anton