How protect proprietary Python code? (bytecode obfuscation?, what better?)

Biggmatt matt at biggmatt.com
Tue Apr 18 23:07:21 EDT 2006

>>I'm afraid that the only *proven* way to protect code from
>>reverse-engineering is to not distribute it *at all*.

ain't that the truth.

A hex editor would stop the "PyRun_SimpleString(secret_code)"

Even if you encrypt your string they have to run at some point. A
couple clicks in decent disassembler like softice when the program is
running, and the program will have un-encrypted it for you.

And besides, when you introduce drm (copy protection) into a program, you
 you take a chance on introducing bugs. There's nothing worse than losing
 legitimate customers over copy protection.

Clean, Stable, Working programs sell better. The people that steal are
going to steal it. So why not make people want to give you money for the
good job you did. Not some buggy crap of a program that's too worried you
might steal something.