semi-[OT]: adding a reply-to line to these mails?

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Tue Apr 18 08:22:55 EDT 2006

Wildemar Wildenburger wrote:
> I've noticed that I replied to individual posters' private addresses
> several times now ...
> So a quick note to the admin(s): see topic ;)

(Ab)using Reply-To like that is undeservedly controversial. See the section "The
Great Reply-To Debate" in Karl Fogel's book _Producing Open Source Software_:

> Hey, maybe I'm just too dumb to use Thunderbird; I haven't figured out a
> way to reply comfortably to list posts (take this as a half asses excuse
> to why some of you got "private" mail from me ;))

OTOH, I am a big fan of a properly munged Reply-To for mailing lists, which I
tend to treat like USENET newsgroups. These days, I read the python-list and
many other mailing lists through the appropriate GMane newsgroup gateway, in
this case, gmane.comp.python.general . Now, python-list does have a gateway to
the regular USENET through comp.lang.python, but I can't access my home ISP's
news server at work, so I use GMane instead.

--
Robert Kern
robert.kern at gmail.com

 an underlying truth."