Extending Python

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 5 01:45:45 EDT 2006

<sushant.sirsikar at gmail.com> wrote:

>     We can extend the functionality of python using C,C++.I want to
> know what are the other lang that we can use to extend the
> functionality of Python?

C# or any .NET one in the IronPython implementation, Java (or any other
JVM one) in the Jython implementation; for the Classic implementation,
just for starters, there's Pyrex, Fortran (see
http://cens.ioc.ee/projects/f2py2e/), Delphi/ObjectPascal (see
<http://www.atug.com/andypatterns/pythonDelphiTalk.htm>), Erlang (see
<http://starship.python.net/crew/gandalf/PyErlang/>), Objective C (with
PyObjC), D (see
<http://www.digitalmars.com/d/archives/digitalmars/D/32177.html>) -- I'm
sure there are many other possibilites too (for example, given any
language with an implementation that can generate a C library you should
be able to wrap that with SWIG for Python use; given any language that
can produce dynamic librairies you should be able to use those libraries
with ctypes; etc etc).

Alex