can't pass command-line arguments

Duncan Booth duncan.booth at invalid.invalid
Mon Apr 10 04:57:42 EDT 2006

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> In article <1144637633.814788.150270 at i40g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
>  "BartlebyScrivener" <rpdooling at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I was used to being able to run scripts by just typing the script name,
>>even without the .py extension, but
>>
>>findmyfiles d:/notes notes*.*   does not work
>
> The MS-DOS foundation on which Windows is built only supports a small
> number of extensions for "executable" files (.COM, .EXE and .BAT), with
> no provision for any extensions to these.

That is wrong on so many levels:

Windows variants such as NT/2000/XP are not based on MS-DOS in any way.

The default set of "executable" file extensions recognised by Windows is:

   .COM .EXE .BAT .CMD .VBS .VBE .JS .JSE .WSF .WSH

You can change the recognised extensions simply by setting the PATHEXT
environment variable.