Memory limit to dict?

Burton Samograd kruhftREMOVE at gmail.com
Tue Apr 11 14:10:03 EDT 2006

Peter Beattie <Peter.Beattie at web.de> writes:

<snip>
> I've no idea how far the Windows task manager's resource monitor can be
> trusted -- probably not as far as I could throw a heavy-set St Bernard
> --, but it seems to stop roughly when that monitor records a swap file
> size of 2.2 GB.

Not being a windows expert at all, but I would assume with 32 bit
windows each process in the system can have an address space of ~2
gigs.  In linux the process address space is split in half, bottom 2
gigs for OS mappings, top for the process, so it looks like you might
just be hitting the maximum allowed address space mapping.

You should partition your data into hierarchial modules and let python
do the swapping for you...although you have 16 gigs (I have to put a
holy crap after that!) you will always run into process limits, at
least until true 64 bit os's are in vouge.

--
burton samograd					kruhft .at. gmail
kruhft.blogspot.com	www.myspace.com/kruhft	metashell.blogspot.com