MinGW and Python

Ames Andreas Andreas.Ames at comergo.com
Fri Apr 28 05:54:35 EDT 2006

There is certainly work underway to ease the use of msvcrXX in
mingw built binaries.  It's already possible to do it today
with some tweaking, but I seem to remember that this was already
mentioned in this thread.

For example:

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=7374474

I don't think it is a technical problem that prevents a
mingw-python from being distributed, I rather see (in no
particular order):

1) psychological issues:  'convenient IDE', 'better debugger'

2) legal issues:  redistribution of msvcrXX

3) 'economical' issues:  no one seems to be willing to reliably
   support a mingw-python

No. 2 could be a show-stopper.

There remains one technical issue that isn't a killer but would
be inconvenient, IMHO:  Can pywin32 be made working with a
mingw-python (I'm quite sure it can't be made building on it)?
I'd appreciate any datapoints about that ...

cheers,

aa

--
Andreas Ames | Programmer | Comergo GmbH |
Voice:  +49 69 7505 3213 | ames AT avaya . com