"definitive" source on advanced python?

pruebauno at latinmail.com pruebauno at latinmail.com
Thu Apr 6 12:09:39 EDT 2006

vdrab wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Is there some sort of coherent source (dead tree format, maybe?) on
> some of the more advanced features
> of python (decorators, metaclasses, etc)? I'm sort of looking for a

If you just want a good  book in feature description I recomend Python
in a Nutshell. It will explain everything you ever did (or didn't) want
to know without much fuzz. It will not have a long list of when you
should use them. For the later the Python Cookbook is probably more
appropiate. It is the book with the most amount and kind of advanced
stuff IMHO. The printed version is much better than the online because
it not only contains the examples but explains how they work. The
problem is that the cookbook is organized by problem domain and not by
implementation technique. To learn techniques you have to read it like
the Bible: you read the stories and try to deduce what it tells you
about Python.