pre-PEP: The create statement

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Fri Apr 7 11:02:45 EDT 2006

    Michele> I think looking at the occurrences in the standard library only
    Michele> is unfair.

In addition, when considering the standard library you need to search the
source repository, not just what's installed on your platform.  I noticed in
your earlier post that you pointed your count_names script (very handy, btw)
at your /usr/lib/pythonN.M directory.  Pointing it at the source repository
picks up stuff in the platform-dependent sections as well as searching
through other less-used code.

    Michele> I guess 'make' sounds too Lispy, this is why it is never used
    Michele> in Pythonland.

It doesn't seem lispish to me.  OTOH, "make" seems more utilitarian than
"create".  For instance, cooks make things while chefs create things.
Perhaps "make" is better anyway.  The proposed statement is essentially a
namespace factory.  I think of object factories as very utilitarian beasts.

Skip