Updated PEP 359: The make statement

Steven Bethard steven.bethard at gmail.com
Fri Apr 21 19:08:44 EDT 2006

Tim Roberts wrote:
> Steven Bethard <steven.bethard at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Steven Bethard wrote:
>>> I've updated PEP 359 with a bunch of the recent suggestions. ...
>> Guido has pronounced on this PEP:
>>    http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-3000/2006-April/000936.html
>> Consider it dead. =)
>
> I tried to follow the thread backwards and find out what proposed change in
> the "class" construct would render "make" unnecessary, but I couldn't find
> it.  Can you summarize, Steven?

The make statement was mostly syntactic sugar for::

    class <name> <tuple>:
        __metaclass__ = <callable>
        <block>

So was technically unnecessary from the beginning. ;)  Here's the one
post where he presented a few reasons he didn't like it:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-3000/2006-April/000704.html

He didn't say a whole lot else about it, but when he mentioned that he'd
like the discussion to end, I offered to end it. ;)

STeVe