2.5 excitement (was Re: Java Developer Exploring Python)

Jon Ribbens jon+usenet at unequivocal.co.uk
Wed Apr 19 05:38:37 EDT 2006

In article <mailman.4719.1145386794.27775.python-list at python.org>, Fredrik Lundh wrote:
>> Apologies if I'm being obtuse, but how does including the pysqlite
>> wrapper module change anything? You still need to download and install
>> SQLite
>
> I'm pretty sure the distributors will do this for you, just as
> they've included zlib, dbm, tcl/tk, openssl, and many other standard
> libraries over the years.

"The distributors"? Que?

I guess I just don't get why the inclusion of the pysqlite wrapper
is so exciting if all it's doing is changing the situation from
"Python does not come with a DB, but you can install extra software
to provide one" to "Python does not come with a DB, but you can
install extra software to provide one".