CD Burning

Tim Golden tim.golden at viacom-outdoor.co.uk
Wed Apr 5 03:46:16 EDT 2006

Albert Leibbrandt wrote:
> Hi
>
> Can anybody tell me which windows API or python module they are using
> for writing cd's / dvd's with python?

Other people have offered sound suggestions about using
cdrecord etc. under Cygwin. Just to make the point, though,
XP (and above, presumably) does have an inbuilt interface
for burning CDs. I've never used it, and I don't know how feasible
it would be to access it from Python. (Helpful, eh?)

The interface is ICDBurn and it should be possible to wrap
it with ctypes / ctypes.com but I haven't the time at the
moment to try it out. (And I haven't a CD writer in this machine
either!)

Ultimately, it might still be easier to install Cygwin and use
the cdrecord approach. I just wanted to make the point that
there *was* an in-built mechanism.

ICDBurn:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/shellcc/platform/shell/reference/ifaces/icdburn/icdburn.asp
ctypes.com: http://starship.python.net/crew/theller/ctypes/com.html