(was Re: Xah's Edu Corner: Criticism vs Constructive Criticism)

Kaz Kylheku kkylheku at gmail.com
Fri Apr 28 16:28:07 EDT 2006

Chris Uppal wrote:
> Tagore Smith wrote:
>
> > It's much easier to use a killfile than to complain to an ISP, and I
> > think that that should be the preferred response to messages you don't
> > like.
>
> I'm inclined to agree.  The problem is not Xah Lee (whom I have killfiled), but

What is the point of killfiling Xah Lee? Xah Lee does not enter into
random debates.

He always starts a new thread, which you can clearly identify by its
subject line and who it is from. Xah Lee does not use sock puppets, nor
does he otherwise conceal himself. He almost goes out of his way to be
clearly identifiable.

If you don't want to read Xah Lee, it is extremely easy to do so
without killfile support.

Intelligent people have learned that Xah Lee threads are extremely well
identified and easy to avoid. So that leaves behind only complete
idiots, and Xah Lee fans. :)

> the people who insist on making my killfile useless by posting loads of
> follow-ups saying things amounting to "stop this insane gibberish".   Every
> bloody time.

This means that you are going into that thread anyway! Maybe if you
un-killfiled Xah Lee, you would see the root article of the thread and
then avoid stepping into it. Maybe you are stepping into these threads
because you want to.

If you truly don't like this stuff, maybe you should killfile by
thread: kill the root article by Xah Lee, and, recursively, anything
else which refers to it directly or transitively by parent references.

But then, even that is superfluous if you have a threaded reader, since
the thread is condensed to a single line on the screen which you have
to explicitly open.