Standalone Python functions in UML?

Nicola Musatti nicola.musatti at gmail.com
Wed Apr 5 08:38:01 EDT 2006

Roman Susi wrote:
[...]
> Also, my argument that Python is quite good at communicating design
> ideas is supported by the fact that Python developers do not use UML (or
> other modelling tools/languages) as often as say Java programmers, nor
> feel the need to. And probably Python is too dynamic for UML. That is
> another reason rountrip tools aren't there.

Another reason is probably the problem you started this thread with;
UML class diagrams are very much centered around Java style object
orientation. Other paradigms, like the procedural and the generic ones,
do not fit well. Nor is it well suited to represent the shift to a meta
level that is involved when you start creating types at execution time.

Cheers,
Nicola Musatti