Looking for a programming resource for newbees

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 21 00:01:06 EDT 2006

bambooforest <bambooforest at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm from a Linguistics background and am new(er) to programming. Could

Welcome!  Some of my best memories date from back when I did
computational linguistics (with emphasis on the 'computational', but in
close cooperation with people with emphasis on the 'linguistics', such
as that wonderful scholar and gentleman, Tullio de Mauro).

> I've looked at the online Python tutorial at python.org and resources
> like O'Reilly's Python in a Nutshell, but they seem to teach you
> language syntax and concepts like data types, or assume you already
> know how to program.

As the author of said Nutshell, I concur: it *most definitely* does not
teach you programming!!!

> I'm searching for something that teaches
> programming.

I suggest
<http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1598631128/103-7955757-3523837?v=glanc
e&n=283155>