Considering moving from PowerBuilder to Python

Norm Goertzen norm at normgoertzen.com
Sun Sep 4 15:12:07 EDT 2005

Wolfgang Keller wrote:

 >> But I also really would like to find something very close to Sybase's
 >> patented datawindow  technology -- it's a real time-saver.
 >>
 >> BTW: As most readers (including me) probably don't know Powerbuilder:
 >> What is a Datawindow? Some kind of data-aware GUI widget?
 >>
 >> Sincerely,
 >>
 >> Wolfgang Keller

Exceprted from the PowerBuilder Journal...

The DataWindow is nothing more than an array of structures with many
powerful and fast functions wrapped around it. True, one of the things
it can do is generate SQL statements based on the data in this structure
array, but this is by no means its only use. Many PowerBuilder
developers think of using DataWindows or DataStores only when database
access is involved. As a result they often create extra, unnecessary
work. For example, I've often been astonished to see structure arrays
declared and manipulated manually in PowerBuilder applications. What's
the point of doing this when you can load your data into a DataStore and
work with it using fast, precoded DataStore functions? Why loop through
a structure array to find a particular value when you can use the Find()
function? DataStores are structure arrays on steroids.

... end of excerpt

I really wish I could find a crystal ball and determine (once and for
all) the best new language to use.  C#.NET is proving to be a much more
complex system than I think it needs to be.  In my mind, the best
language would be one that takes care of EVERYTHING that can safely
assumed -- I should never have to write another low-level routine.
Although the comparison is far from perfect, I remember being able to
roll-out a small database application using R:Base in about 60 minutes
(including 3 data entry forms and 3 reports).  Nowadays, if I use
PowerBuilder, it takes me at least 4 hours.  In C#.NET, I'm afraid it
will take at least 10 hours.

thanks,
Norm