Accessing shared library file...

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Thu Sep 15 22:16:27 EDT 2005

Ernesto wrote:
> The .dll file is a shared library file that is associated with a
> programming interface for a semi-conductor chip.  The chip drivers come
> in two different flavors:  One is a .dll (for Windows) and the other is
> a shared library file for Linux.  The name of the Linux file is
> "nameofFile.so.0.4.5"  The company that makes these drivers (FTDI) says
> that the API's for both OS's are practically the same (except you
> obviously cannot use WIN32 functions when running on Linux).  I wish I
> knew more about Linux drivers...

I believe Larry misinterpreted the question, thinking you were asking
about how to call routines in the library, not just how to load the
library itself.  I don't know the answer either, but I can at least
suggest that asking in the ctypes mailing list is pretty much certain to
get you a quick, correct answer (assuming no one gives one here).

-Peter